The success of any organization lies mainly on the type of leadership that is in charge and how they are able to manage the human resources that are within the whole to achieve collective goals and objectives. Within the organization, duties are assigned to various departments or teams and within these units, there are also leaders who have been given responsibility of working with their team to achieve the vision of the organization. In this article, I am examining the responsibilities of a team leader in a Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) organization. A BPO is basically an outsourcing entity that carries out the functions or a part of the function of a business organization. It helps in cutting unnecessary costs and increasing productivity levels in an organization.
In the today's corporate environment, many functions at different levels are outsourced to organizations that have qualified manpower that specialize in them. An outsourcing company may provide professional secretaries to organizations to handle secretarial and administrative duties. Sometimes, the cost burden on the client organization is greatly reduced and the responsibility of training these personnel would be the sole responsibility of the outsourcing company. The client organization has an agreement with the outsourcer to handle a part of their business process for an agreed period of time. There are various advantages of this and one most important one is that it makes it
easier to access personnel with the relevant expertise in specialized areas in their operations. It also helps to reduce capital and operating costs; reduce taxes; cuts costs associated with production, training of personnel and increases productivity. This strategy also makes the client organization become more competitive.
Every outsourcing team that is sent into an organization to handle some part of its operations usually has an individual who coordinates them. This person has various responsibilities attached to his position. Some of these are examined below:
1. Should be able to inspire and motivate othersThe team leader in a business process outsourcing must be able understand the various individuals that are members of his team and how to motivate them in carrying out their duties. He should be able to create a conducive working environment that would make them relaxed and willing to contribute their best efforts towards the achievement of organizational goals. Where inspiration and motivation is lacking, productivity among the workers in the team would understandably be low. There may be challenges and bottlenecks within an organization that may tend to frustrate the workers but when there is someone in their midst who keeps encouraging them, it would be easier to handle the daunting tasks that they face daily.
2. Should communicate excellentlyIf the team in such an organization is expected to achieve their goals it is important to emphasize that the leader must develop an effective communication channel. This would help the team clearly understand what their duties and contributions should be towards achieving the organization's targets. The team leader should also be able to communicate information from the client organization easily to his team members within the same organization. They must be clear in both written and verbal communication. The ability to be able to listen attentively and respond appropriately is needed.
3. Should have good organizational skillsThe leader of the team in a business process outsourcing must possess good organizational skills as this would enable them assess their objectives and develop strategies that would help in achieving it. Those that have these skills would be able to impact the colleagues to increase their performance levels and achieve the goals and objectives of the organization.
One of the responsibilities of a team leader in this type of organization would be the ability to negotiate properly and achieve better results. This skill would help reduce conflicts that may occur in the workplace and lead to a faster decision making process. There are positive benefits that would impact all the members of the team.
be able to negotiate effectively
style="display:block; text-align:center;" data-ad-layout="in-article"
5. Should be a good facilitatorThe team leader must be able to get their team mates to clearly understand their goals. They should be able to develop an effective plan and strategy to help that the team members achieve their set goals.
6. Should be able to delegate effectivelyA business process outsourcing team leader must understand the benefits of working together with their team members. This can be easily achieved by delegating important tasks to others and also encouraging them all the way. The team leader would then be able to focus on other important areas that would increase productivity levels in the organization.
7. Should be a person of integrityThe team leader should be one that is transparent and open with the other team members. It is the responsibility of the leader to motivate the others to act the same way by showing a good example. They must be people that do what they say at all times.
8. Should be influentialThe team leader must be able to influence others in the pursuit and achievement of the set goals and objectives of the organization. They are responsible for gaining the trust and confidence of their team members. Without this, it would be impossible for the team to be productive.
9. Should create a level playing ground for allThe team leader must take responsibility for creating an environment that is void of rancor and suspicion. This can be achieved by allowing all members of their team express themselves without any fear of victimization and intimidation. They must be willing to achieve their contributions and to show them that their opinions are accepted and respected.
10. Should be fair to all team membersThe team leader should also take responsibility to ensure that members in the team are rewarded for their efforts and to stay fair to everyone. They are to ensure that there is no partiality meted out to anyone. This would enable the team members offer the best of their knowledge and skills.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter